City Centre Redevelopment, Council Votes This Week

Aug 11, 2019
3287 Views

What's On Invers Business News Presented by

This week Invercargill City Council meet to decide if the coumcil will invest up to $30 Million in stages 1, 2 and 3 of the city block development. Council is 49% shareholder in HWCP the vehicle used todate to manage the portfolio of properties in the large city block Dee – Kelvin, Esk – Tay.

The only buildings planned to stay are the Old NSW Bank (Pumpkin Patch), Movies, Kelvin Hotel.

Back in June Resource Management Commissioners gave their unanimous support for a resource consent to demolish a central city block to make way for a retail and office development.

The proposal includes plans to demolish 30 buildings and the construction of a new medical centre, more than 850 new parking spaces and a seven-storey hotel.

The project is being driven by HWCP Management, which is a partnership between Southland transport group HW Richardson and Invercargill City Council.

Scott O’Donnell HWCP Director who is travelling overseas when contacted by What’s On Invers said “Great news big thanks to all the team, have yet to read the full decision and we still have have the 15 day appeal period to get through”. UPDATE: No appeals and H&J Smith released a statement saying they would not appeal.

Commissioners John Maassen, Gina Sweetman and Jane Black decided the application should be granted for the block bordered by Esk, Tay, Dee and Kelvin streets, but it would be subject to a long list of conditions.

In their decision, the Commissioners said the development would meet the needs of people in Invercargill and open the door for new opportunities.

“The Applicant’s bold, proposed enterprise aims to respond to that goal and to rescue the CBD from its current trajectory of decline, so that the CBD’s proper function as the retail and entertainment heart of Invercargill will be reinforced and credibly secured by viable commercial activities,” they said.

“A proposal of this scale that would replace most of the commercial building stock and heritage elements in the core of a city that has accumulated over a century does not emerge unexpectedly or from left field.

“The proposal’s scope, incubated raison d’ être and potential impacts can only be comprehended by a sweeping but brief consideration of the history of Invercargill’s CBD, the condition of the CBD’s structures and the aspirations of people concerned for the CBD’s future.”

The decision followed a hearing and public consultation, which received 44 submissions last year – 24 generally supported the proposal and 10 opposed it, while others remained neutral.

“The Southland Chamber of Commerce is delighted with the decision reached by the commissioners for the HWCP inner city project. With this hurdle overcome, significant work can begin on revitalising our city and making sure we are open for business for the years to come” Southland Chamber CEO Sheree Carey said.

While we still have the Council’s consultation process to go, we’re confident the people of Southland are as ready and eager for this change as the Chamber is and we’re looking forward to a brighter and more buoyant future for the region.

We remain committed to Southland businesses throughout what will be a period of transition during the demolition and construction phases and will ensure the affected businesses have our full support during this time.”

Some of the consent conditions included preserving and maintaining the Bank of New South Wales as a heritage building, providing written confirmation to the council before undertaking any demolition, and monitoring the presence of asbestos during demolition.

“A number of conditions were offered by the Applicant to address activation and city centre vibrancy during the period of reconstruction. The most important of these concerned an Activation Management Plan to sustain temporary retail activity on Esk Street during the construction period.

“The Applicant proposed a $20,000 per year contribution to the Neighbourhood Retail Group.”

They said the construction period would be disruptive, both on the site and to nearby businesses.

“The Applicant has given due consideration of how these effects can be managed to reduce the impacts beyond the site, which includes taking a staged approach.”

Members of the public have 15 days to appeal the decision.

You can read the full consent here

This story contrubuted by What’s On Invers and rnz.co.nz

Related:

 

You may be interested

Worlds Number 2 for Scottish Southlander
Community, News
23 views
Community, News
23 views

Worlds Number 2 for Scottish Southlander

Editor - Aug 19, 2019

Each year Alasdair MacKenzie flies home to Scotland from Southland for the Scottish Champs in July and World Pipe Band…

Farm Fresh South to Celebrate Two Years in Business
Business, Farming
301 views
Business, Farming
301 views

Farm Fresh South to Celebrate Two Years in Business

Business Hub - Aug 19, 2019

In a little over a month, popular local raw milk seller Farm Fresh South will be blowing out the candles…

Mix of Candidates Up For Election, Double Dippers, Blasts From The Past – Take Our Mayoral Poll
Election 2019, News
974 views
Election 2019, News
974 views

Mix of Candidates Up For Election, Double Dippers, Blasts From The Past – Take Our Mayoral Poll

News Desk - Aug 19, 2019

Local body election nominations closed 12 noon on Friday. Ten of the 12 existing Invercargill City Councillors will be throwing…