The Board of Rugby Southland had an extraordinary Board meeting today to discuss the effect of the Covid -19 Virus on the pending Rugby season. The Board considered the a number of scenarios relating to the viability of the game and more importantly the safety of our staff and all players and supporters. The Board resolved three scenarios will be budgeted for regarding the Mitre10 Cup Season . Business as usual, Mitre10 with no crowds or no Mitre 10 . These budgets will be considered and discussed with New Zealand Rugby and our Community Funders.
Rugby Southland is committed to a community rugby season. We support the decision made by NZR last night to delay the start of the 2020 season until the 18th of April and it may be that a later starting date is needed. At the end of the day ,however our primary focus will be on the health and well-being of our community. We will keep talking to schools / clubs / referees at all levels and do our utmost to keep you all informed
Rugby Southland acknowledges the continued support it is receiving from its funders, the Community and sponsors.
Today the office staff of Rugby Southland have been sent home as a cautionary measure with one staff member having been possibly exposed to Covid-19. The Board is taking a cautious approach and taking expert advice from the Ministry of health and NZ Rugby. All staff are well and are able to work at home but are following appropriate isolation protocol.