fbpx

Mayor Shadbolt Responds To DIA Report

Nov 23, 2020
2699 Views

The Department of Internal Affairs has spoken and Invercargill City Mayor Tim Shadbolt has responded.

A subdued Shadbolt addressed the media this afternoon sharing his disappointment at the ongoing alleged attack on him by factions within council.

The DIA concluded in its review on council that the leadership void was largely due to Sir Tim Shadbolt’s “[struggle] to fulfil significant aspects of his role”.

Some of the more personal information in the review was ‘redacted’ to protect certain people, when it was publicly released.

The review found that there were significant problems with governance at the council, including a leadership void, impact of a new CEO, new deputy Mayor (Nobby Clark), as well as the Mayor and CEO relationship breakdown.

Chief executive Clare Hadley said the review raised some challenging issues both for elected members and staff.

“What’s important now is that we focus on what needs to be done to make improvements for the good of the city. The council has unanimously agreed an action plan, which sets out a range of positive initiatives that we must work on together.”

Two external appointees will work with the council to develop a clear set of delegations for the deputy Mayor, at a cost of up to $700,000, over the next six months.

Mayor Tim said in an initial statement with council, that he acknowledged the process has been a challenging one, both for himself and others around the council table.

“Now we’re looking ahead and we’ve agreed to work together to make the changes needed. This includes some additional support mechanisms which will help with the smooth running of the council, as well as seeking the guidance of our new external appointees.

“Everyone around the council table wants to do right by our city. We are committed to the people of Invercargill and we’ve now agreed a strong plan that means we can get on with doing a great job for our community.”

The DIA was unable to find the source of the media ‘leak’ that led to the council investigation, but did conclude that it couldn’t have been an ICC staff member.

With deputy Mayor Toni Biddle now having stood down from her position, the Code of Conduct complaint had been withdrawn, but the one on new deputy Mayor Nobby Clark was still under investigation.

Read the full reports (PDF) below:

Fact Sheet ICC Governance Review Announcement_2020-11-23

Independent Governance Review Report R Thomson Redacted without-Appendices_2020-11-12

Independent Governance Review Staff Report Redacted_2020-11-12

Related:

Sharks Add Second American Import for 2021
News, Southland
102 views
News, Southland
102 views

Sharks Add Second American Import for 2021

Nick Jeffrey - Jan 19, 2021

The SIT Zero Fees Southland Sharks will have an American duo on court in the 2021 Sal’s National Basketball League…

UPDATE: AOS Callout in East Gore, Called Off, AOS Stood Down
Gore, News
1217 views
Gore, News
1217 views

UPDATE: AOS Callout in East Gore, Called Off, AOS Stood Down

News Desk - Jan 19, 2021

UPDATE: 4:30pm AOS have been stood down and all cordons removed. Police were called to an alleged firearms incident at…

Master Plan Will Slow Down City: But What About Business?
Invercargill Central, Invercargill City Council
1072 views
Invercargill Central, Invercargill City Council
1072 views

Master Plan Will Slow Down City: But What About Business?

Aimee Wilson - Jan 19, 2021

Some business owners in the city feel that the council’s Master Plan could actually be detrimental to trading - particularly…

Community Views Sought on City Centre Master Plan
Community, News
4149 views
Community, News
4149 views

Community Views Sought on City Centre Master Plan

News Desk - Jan 19, 2021

The Invercargill City Centre Master Plan sets out a pathway for revitalising the heart of Invercargill and we want to…

Ohai to Invercargill Branch Line Open, Maintenance Planned
News, Southland
109 views
News, Southland
109 views

Ohai to Invercargill Branch Line Open, Maintenance Planned

News Desk - Jan 19, 2021

“The freight train derailment on 11 January at Wrights Bush damaged around 100m of track and also caused some damage…