fbpx

Lockdown To Be Imposed Across Central Melbourne For Six Weeks

Jul 07, 2020
2063 Views

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has announced a lockdown of metropolitan Melbourne as the state records its largest daily increase in Covid-19 cases since the start of the pandemic.

Stay-at-home orders have been reintroduced for both Melbourne and the shire of Mitchell – placing those areas back into Stage 3 restrictions from midnight tomorrow.

The state reported 191 new cases of Covid-19 today, with 37 linked to known outbreaks and the remaining 154 still under investigation.

Andrews announced the stay-at-home orders would be reimposed from midnight tomorrow night.

Andrews said the new restrictions were the result of the “unacceptably” high number of new cases.

The Mitchell Shire, north of Melbourne, includes the towns of Broadford, Kilmore, Seymour, Tallarook, Pyalong and Wallan.

Under the stage three restrictions, people are only allowed to leave their homes for four main reasons: work or study, exercise, shopping for supplies and medical care and caregiving.

Andrews had already imposed stage three stay-at-home orders on 12 postcodes covering 39 Melbourne suburbs.

Nine public housing towers were also under even more strict “detention orders”, forbidding 3000 residents from leaving their homes.

Meanwhile, the NSW-Victoria border is closing at midnight, and about 1000 police officers and soldiers from NSW were making their way towards the state line to help close crossings.

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller conceded the first 72 hours of the closure would need to be flexible, because specific details about who could get an exemption to travel due to “extraordinary circumstances”, and exactly how border communities would operate, had not been revealed.

NSW Police Minister David Elliott said Victoria should do the “decent thing” and help pay for the cost of closing the border between the two states.

Elliott said it was a costly exercise and Andrews should foot part of the bill.

“I would think that would be the decent thing to do, given this is an outbreak that’s caused by a situation in Melbourne,” he said.

“But we can’t rely on other governments to do the right thing all the time.

“So as far as the New South Wales government is concerned, we’ll be providing the financial support that’s necessary.

“Obviously with the defence aid, that comes within each individual agreement, the application that’s made.”

Source: rnz.co.nz Republished by arrangement.

Impressive, Impressive, Impressive – Langlands Hotel Build Coming Along (watch)
Community, News
1094 views
Community, News
1094 views

Impressive, Impressive, Impressive – Langlands Hotel Build Coming Along (watch)

Malcolm Gayfer - Jan 26, 2021

Impressive. That's what it is now and impressive is what it will be when our new Langlands Hotel opens for…

Strong Wind for Fiordland and Southland including Stewart Island
News, Southland
912 views
News, Southland
912 views

Strong Wind for Fiordland and Southland including Stewart Island

News Desk - Jan 26, 2021

Burst of heavy rain for the West Coast. Severe gale northwesterlies possible for parts of the South Island. A cold…

Mulitnational Company Promises Quick Builds in NZ
News, Property
678 views
News, Property
678 views

Mulitnational Company Promises Quick Builds in NZ

News Desk - Jan 25, 2021

An overseas building company has entered the New Zealand market, promising to build affordable houses in half the normal time.…

Sharks add Young Talent in Helu
News, Sports
246 views
News, Sports
246 views

Sharks add Young Talent in Helu

Nick Jeffrey - Jan 25, 2021

The SIT Zero Fees Southland Sharks added another young talent to its National Basketball League roster with former Junior Tall…

Oat Milk Processing Will Soon Join Dairy in the South
Business, Farming
542 views
Business, Farming
542 views

Oat Milk Processing Will Soon Join Dairy in the South

Aimee Wilson - Jan 25, 2021

Southland will soon lead the way with plans for a New Zealand first oat milk processing plant underway. Growers currently…