There will be a 4pm post Cabinet media conference from the Prime Minister and the Director-General of Health.
Update on COVID-19 cases from the Ministry of Health Speakers at the 4pm post Cabinet media conference: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield.
latest details from today’s live update:
- We can be highly confident that there are no new cases attributable to the relaxing of rules to level three, three weeks ago – Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern
- Cabinet has decided to increase the size of all gatherings can increase to 100 people (churches etc) from Friday 12pm.
- There will no longer be a need for funerals or tangis to pre register attendees, Ardern says.
- The Prime Minister says Cabinet will check in on alert level 2 settings again on 8 June and no later than 22 June it will consider the move to alert level 1.
- “The shift to 100 means many more gatherings will be able to occur from now on. These changes are good news for business and those looking to plan gatherings,” Prime Minister Ardern said.
- “This is based on the advice of the director general of health,” the Prime Minister said.
- “The fact that we are even making these decisions shows the success we’ve had to date… it highlights we can now make choices many other countries can’t,” the Prime Minister said.
- “For the most part, many aspects of life can and should feel much more normal. Let’s not lose that advantage,” – PM Ardern.
- “Our team of 5 million stuck together to defeat the virus and now we need to stick together to support those who bear the brunt of the viruses economic impact.”
- If you’re having a party, “keep a list of who you’ve invited,” PM Ardern says.
- PM Ardern says the contact tracing app, which has had around 380,000 downloads so far, will continue having updates so that it is as convenient as possible for users/businesses.
Watch the live stream expected to start at 4pm: