Police issue a correction due their error with ages as previously reported.
A 20 year old man has been charged with murder following the death of a 19 year old man in Invercargill this morning.
This story has variously claimed the attacker was 30, or 20 as police press releases have changed. It has since been confirmed by police that the man charged with murder is 20 years old.
The man died following a serious assault that happened around 11:00pm outside Stadium Southland.
An examination is ongoing, with both the Stadium and a residential address currently being investigated by specialist staff from the ESR (Environmental Search and Research) forensic team.
A post mortem examination and formal identification of the deceased will take place Friday.
Police are currently speaking with a number of people in relation to this incident.
A post mortem examination and formal identification of the deceased will take place tomorrow.
Detective Senior Sergeant Stu Harvey said Police are thankful for the assistance they’ve received from the community.
However, Police would still like to hear from anyone who was in the vicinity of Stadium Southland about 11:00pm yesterday, or who has information that may be relevant to this investigation.
Anyone with information can contact Invercargill Police Ph 03 211 0400 or report anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Update: 4:20pm Thursday.
A 30 year old invercargill man has appeared in the Invercargill District Court charged with murder. The man has been granted interim name suppression.
UPDATE 11:45am Thursday: Police report the victim of the assault has since died.
Stadium Southland is open for business and advise to use the Isabella street entrance.
ILT Stadium Southland was cordoned off by police after a late night assault on Wednesday evening .
Official inquiries into the incident are ongoing, with anyone with information about this violent assault encouraged to contact Invercargill Police on 03 211 0400
Information can also be shared anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111
What we know:
- 19 year old man assaulted outside Stadium Southland by a 20 year old man.
- One person was transported to Southland Hospital in a serious condition, who later died.
- St John was called to a serious assault at 11.20pm on Wednesday night.
- A police communications spokeswoman said police would not comment at this stage.
- ILT Stadium Southland general manager Nigel Skelt said there had been a major incident at the stadium but was unable comment. He also said the stadium was closed at the time the incident happened and no staff were involved.
- ESR forensic agents are investigating the stadium and a residential address.
- A post mortem examination and formal identification will take place Friday.This story has variously claimed the attacker was 30, or 20 as police press releases have changed. It has since been confirmed by police that the man was 20 years old.