What's On Invers Business News Presented by
AirLatest research into Southland air travel has uncovered invaluable data surrounding peoples travel patterns, key to making informed decisions when planning and advocating for services into and out of Invercargill Airport for the region.
Venture Southland contracted Impact Consulting to further investigate air travel patterns following an informal online survey undertaken in April this year.
The research sample included
- 238 online survey responses gathered from Southland businesses
- 886 people were surveyed around their personal travel either online or through one-on-one interviews throughout Southland.
For Venture Southland GM Business and Strategic Projects Steve Canny the latest data is key for planning purposes for all stakeholders.
“We need as much information as possible to advocate for increased capacity on existing flights and towards the development of itineraries and tourism products best matched to flight times.”
“This latest survey will contribute to ensuring that the region gets the most out of what is an excellent facility both in terms of terminal and runway capacity.”
“When Venture Southland conducted the Air Travel Demand Survey in 2009 70% of Southlanders said they had flown in the previous two years the latest survey shows that:
- 87% percent of Southlanders have taken to the air for other than business reasons over the previous two years.”
- 57% of all Southlanders that travel by air depart and return through Invercargill Airport.
This represents 132,386 return flights:
- 43% of all Southland business and resident travellers depart and arrive through other airports, representing 100,553 return flights.
- 77% of all Southland business flights depart from Invercargill Airport.
- 91% of business travellers have departed from Invercargill Airport at least once in the previous two years compared to 70% of personal travelers.
Queenstown Airport has experienced the biggest relative gain in market share, now accounting for 10% of Southland business air travel and 24% of Southland personal air travel.
The top three reasons for travellers using Queenstown or Dunedin Airports include price, direct flights and better flight schedules.
- 41% of business travellers.
- 15% of private travellers reported experiencing flight cancellations over the past two years.
- 71% of business travellers.
- 45% of personal travellers experienced flight delays over the same two year period.
Venture Southland Chief Executive Paul Casson believes that this information will provide feedback to stakeholders in the region to increase our regional profile and maximise opportunities now and into the future for planning and growth.
You may be interested
Councils Never Authorised Wastenet Tender – Auditor General Request LodgedNews Desk - Aug 20, 2019
EXCLUSIVE: A request for an investigation into the entire Wastenet Tender process has been lodged with the Auditor General on the…
Opinion: More ICC Worries, As Wastenet Saga drags OnNobby Clark - Aug 20, 2019
I was one of many ratepayers that gave a large sigh of relief when our council voted to not accept…
20 Year-Old Otago Man Arrested In Relation To Queenstown StabbingNews Desk - Aug 20, 2019
A 20-year-old Otago man who had a warrant for his arrest in relation to a stabbing in Queenstown over the…