Milford Road Repairs Expected To Take A Year As 4WD Access Restored

Feb 12, 2020
440 Views

Four-wheel-drive access into Milford Sound is now available just over a week after heavy flooding cut off the only road in.

A route has been cleared through to Milford Sound which will be usable by 4WD vehicles in twice-a-day convoys. Forks Bridge. A route has been cleared through to Milford Sound which will be usable by 4WD vehicles in twice-a-day convoys.

The Transport Agency confirmed the route is open to emergency services while essential service convoys should start this weekend.

The agency’s system manager Graeme Hall said it had taken a remarkable effort from crews to establish the access route.

“The damage will require a significant rebuilding over more than a 12-month period. However it has been a huge effort to establish a construction track and to be able to forecast we can accommodate some traffic use in the coming weeks while rebuilding continues,” he said.

The road between the East Gate and the Chasm suffered the most serious damage, Hall said.

Forks Bridge during flooding last week.Forks Bridge during flooding last week. Photo: NZTA

A twice-a-day business-only convoy is scheduled from Sunday to next Thursday, starting at 8am and 4pm from the East Gate, and returning through Gulliver Gate at 9am and 5pm.

The convoy would transport fuel, food, freight, septic and rubbish disposable trades, contractors, staff and air traffic control personnel.

“This convoy system is being supported under the Civil Defence emergency status, and it will need support and assistance from the tourism operators and wider businesses to work,” Hall said.

Tourism buses would be included from next Friday three times a day with a minimum of ten seats, he said, but another smaller storm was forecast for next week which may affect the supervised convoys.

Milford Rd State Highway 94 is expected to be blocked for several days because of flooding and slips. Milford Road was closed by flooding and slips last week. Photo: NZTA

“The Transport Agency will be working closely with Emergency Management Southland which has extended the State of Emergency for Southland, including Fiordland, until next Tuesday.

“If at any stage rainfall creates fresh risks along this route, convoys will be halted and we will do our best to keep people informed and up to date.”

Source: rnz.co.nz Republished by arrangement.

You may be interested

Fernworth Primary School Celebrates New Name & Logo
Community, News
773 views
Community, News
773 views

Fernworth Primary School Celebrates New Name & Logo

News Desk - Feb 23, 2020

Fernworth Primary School is celebrating the new decade with a new vision and a new Māori name. After an official…

What New Zealand History Should Be Taught In Southland Schools?
News, Old Invercargill
447 views
News, Old Invercargill
447 views

What New Zealand History Should Be Taught In Southland Schools?

News Desk - Feb 23, 2020

The past and the future will be in focus as Heritage South’s Southland Heritage Month 2020 opens up a discussion…

Powerball Rolls Over, $42 million Up For Grabs On Wednesday
Lotto, News
690 views
Lotto, News
690 views

Powerball Rolls Over, $42 million Up For Grabs On Wednesday

News Desk - Feb 22, 2020

Powerball was not struck this evening and has rolled over to Wednesday night where the jackpot will be $42 million.…