The Invercargill community will be consulted on a 9.47% rates increase, despite opposition from both the Mayor Nobby Clark and deputy Tom Campbell.

At yesterday’s council meeting, Mayor Clark told the meeting from the outset he didn’t agree with the process they were using to determine the rates increase, and continued to advocate for 3.9%. Related: Mayor Clark Continues To Campaign For Low Rates

Last month Mayor Clark proposed increasing rates only 2.3% - which would make it among the lowest in the country.

– Advertise on whatsoninvers.nz –

Mayor Clark proposed to slash employee and consultant/contractor costs at council to reduce the rates, and said following the meeting, he would release a paper on that once public consultation on the Long Term Plan was underway from March 13. 

He said the reason for the delay was so as not to upset the democracy process.

But he did make a point of saying that it was interesting staff were prepared to cut funding for the stadium and to Great South - which would forcing those organisations to cut employee numbers, but weren’t prepared to reduce numbers internally.

Council managed to reduce proposed rates down from 14% to 9.47% but it was noted by staff at the meeting, those ratepayers who didn’t receive three waters services, would have slightly lower increases.

– Advertise on whatsoninvers.nz –

Mayor Clark challenged that saying there was still a vast majority of the city on three waters “and if it was lower than 90% I would be very surprised.”

The consultation document with proposed rates increases would be brought back to council after hearing from the public in early May.

– Advertise on whatsoninvers.nz –

Council will make a final decision on rates under its Long Term Plan 2025/26 in June 2025.

Share this article
The link has been copied!