New Zealand’s oldest remaining hospital buildings happen to be next door to north Invercargill Maccas.
Dee street hospital has served Invercargill well and remains an exceptional historic relic. The first part of this hospital (known as the north wing) was built in 1863 and by 1874 this building was altered, then in 1876 an additional structure (known as the central block) went up with a more eccentric finish.
In the year 1879 a south building was added (mimicking the north) giving the hospital a smart, symmetrical finish. In 1897 a brand new wing replaced the north wing on a far larger scale, styled sympathetically to the hospital’s original design.
This wing was built to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria and the Hospital would later take on the name ‘Queen Victoria Hospital’. In 1937 Kew Hospital opened, and so Dee Street was retained as a maternity hospital.
By 1979 maternity services had shifted to Kew and this Hospital would close its doors for good. In 1985 the Queen Victoria wing was scrapped as we embraced the arrival of Invercargills first McDonald’s and today two buildings still remain patiently awaiting their next lease on life, how ever that may come.
You may be interested
Change To ICC EvaluatorNews Desk - Sep 23, 2020
The independent evaluator appointed to consider the current standard of governance performance at Invercargill City Council has changed. Councillors were…
Three New Cases Of Covid-19 Today, Six Historical Cases ReportedNews Desk - Sep 23, 2020
There are three new cases of Covid-19 in New Zealand today and for the first time six historical cases are…