ILT had two of its biggest trading days on record in retail bottle store sales, days before lockdown in March 2020. Remember when the Government dithered on whether alcohol stores would be classed as essential services, causing people to stock up incase.
A report to its monthly meeting held yesterday, from the chief executive showed combined sales for the past 12 months (including lockdown) was up $2,700,000 or 8.3% on the 12 month period prior.
Overall trading was down 9,800,000 or 10.6%, because of the effect on the accommodation sector and restaurants, with large conferences also being cancelled for most of 2020 as the country went through different lockdown levels.
Chief executive Chris Ramsay said in his report that the strong retail bottle store sales was the result of retaining its trading rights throughout all alert levels, “which helped our stores to meet the high demand for our products during lockdown and beyond.”
The ILT’s liquor distribution sales were down $6,200,000 or 25%, most of this decrease being recorded through its Queenstown Lakes and Central Otago distribution business, which was hit hard by the loss of international tourists and further affected by subsequent Auckland lockdowns.
“We are fortunate that when we returned to alert level one our businesses have continued to be well supported and our more recent sales results are getting back to matching previous year results with the main exception of our Central Otago distribution business.”
He said the loss of international tourists had only a minor effect on its hotel and motel properties because they have been catering more to the business/corporate market, and not so reliant on overseas travellers.
“Fortunately we have seen quite an increase in domestic travel groups coming to Invercargill and the Southland region which has helped to offset the loss of some of the international tour groups that we received in the past.”
Total donations for the year are expected to be just over $6million for the past financial year.
The following grants have been approved by the combined ILT Foundation and ILT Group.
- Southland Disability Enterprises Ltd – $5,000 to assist with annual awards evening for employees
- Southland Secondary Schools Cultural Scholarship – $2,250 to assist with administration costs towards organising local Shakespearean Festival for secondary schools
- Southland Bird Club -$1,000 to assist with 58th Annual Southland Bird Club Bird Show
- Sharks Basketball Ltd – $20,000 to assist with a new one-off commercial manager salary
- Invercargill City Council–Schools Swimming Programme – (Joint) – $12,500 to assist with subsidised transport to and from Splash Palace, pool admission, hire and teaching costs and equipment;
The following grants have been allocated by Trustees of the ILT Foundation:
- Invercargill Netball Centre Inc – $25,000 to assist with operational and development expenses in Invercargill for 12 months
- Netball South Zone Inc – $112,500 to assist with development and operational costs of amateur netball in Invercargill for 12 months
- Rugby Southland Inc – $255,000 to assist with operation costs for grass root amateur rugby in Invercargill for 12 months
- Graeme Dingle Foundation Southland – $12,500 to assist with ‘Kiwi Can’ and ‘Career Navigator’ delivery in Invercargill Schools 2021
- Menz Shed Invercargill Inc – $5,000 to assist with operation costs, including power, move to a new building, build/install ramp
- Southland Indoor Bowls Centre Inc – 11,000 to assist with operational costs of indoor bowls 12 months and 2021 indoor bowls tournaments
- Southland Triathlon and Multisport Club Inc – $5,500 to assist with coaching coordinator role in Invercargill for 12 months
- Tuurama Trust – $5,000 to assist with Murihiku Matariki Festival 2021 at Queens Park, lighting installations
- Cancer Society-Otago & Southland Division Inc – $5,000 to assist with increased client referrals – higher staff demand (Covid related)
- Loss and Grief Support Trust Southland – $10,000 to assist with extra staff for counselling support. (Covid related)
- Southland Clay Target Club Inc – $12,000 to assist with the purchase set of steek traps for new proposed layout to meet national event requirements
- Thistle FC Inc -$5,000 to assist with equipment, operational costs, new strips, clubroom maintenance and turf hire.
- Touch Southland Inc – $10,000 to assist with painting exterior of shared clubrooms (Thistle FC) Islington Street.; Disabilities Resource Centre Southland Charitable Trust – $6,250 to assist with operational expenses, lease of premises and carparks
- Golf Southland Inc – $12,500 to assist with operational costs for 2021/2022 year in Invercargill
- Head Injury Society of Southland Inc – $5,100 to assist with wages for field officer, rent and power for 12 months
- NZ Family Fostercare Federation Inc – $2,500 to assist with salary cost of regional Dunedin-based co-ordinator supporting local caregivers
- Pirates Old Boys Rugby Club Invercargill – $7,500 to assist with general running club expenses, including team uniforms 2021 season
- Queens Park AFC Inc – $2,500 to assist with hire turf training facilities, clubroom facilities and ICC grounds
- Southland ACC Advocacy Trust – $2,500 to assist with free independent support to ACC claimants – operational costs for 12 months
- Southland Asthma Society Inc – $6,000 to assist with continued employment of the asthma educator
- Southland Community Nursery Conservation Trust – $2,500 to assist with tutors to run a range of community workshops at the centre
- Southland Multiple Sclerosis Society Inc – $8,750 to assist with wages for registered nurse and community advisor support and operational costs for 12 months
- Southland Racing Club Inc -$5,000 to assist with venue hire for two club race days 18/4/21 and 17/11/21
- Southland Rodeo Association Inc – $5,210 to assist with purchase of two portable yards for use at the grounds
- Southland Schools Pipe Band Programme Trust – $25,350 to assist with wages of piping tutor/drumming tutor, pipe band education/tutoring students
- Southland Secondary School Sports – $7,500 to assist with venue hire, wages of part-time administration assistant, sport development programme for Invercargill next 12 months
- Southland Workers Educational Association Inc – $7,500 to assist with operational costs in Invercargill for 12 months.
- Waihopai Association Football Club Inc – $2,500 to assist with general operating expenses for 2021 season
- Bush Haven Native Bird Rehabilitation Trust – $500 to assist with operation costs of rehabilitating injured native birds
- CS Art Charitable Trust – $2,500 to assist with rent, art supplies, framing costs for art studio for people with disabilities
- Disc Golf South Inc – $1,330 to assist with purchase portable disc golf baskets for use in schools/events
- Invercargill Indoor Bowls Sub-Centre – $625 to assist with various tournaments/challenges during 2021 in Invercargill
- Invercargill Toy and Puzzle Library Inc – $1,250 to assist with salary costs of librarian and rent of library, 100 Russell Street
- Love Local Charitable Trust – $2,000 to assist with wages and operational costs for delivery of service
- Paralympics New Zealand Inc – $600 to assist with cost of Para Cycling office lease in Invercargill for 12 months
- SCIP Limited – $750 to assist with Southern Cochlear Implant programme client visits to Invercargill
- Southland Darts Association Inc – $800 to assist with South Island Masters Darts tournament 2/4/21
- James Hargest College -(Scholarship) – $500 to assist with Darcy Herrick – Timpanists NZSSSO Chch
- Motorcycling NZ – (Scholarship) -$3,000 to assist with Cormac Buchanan – Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup Europe April-Sept 2021 & British Talent Cup May-Oct 2021
- Invercargill City Council–Schools Swimming Programme – (Joint) – $148,811 to assist with subsidised transport to and from Splash Palace, pool admission, hire and teaching costs and equipment.