Invercargills Time With Trams
Electric trams once operated in eight New Zealand cities including Invercargill. Although Invercargills earlier trams were horse drawn (1881-1912), electric tram lines had arrived by 1912 with 10 trams (manufactured by Boon and Co of Christchurch), this innovation served Waikiwi, North Invercargill, Georgetown and South Invercargill. A tram shed was also established on Leven street and remains standing today.
Another six Trams were purchased from the united states and began operating in 1922.
Around the time Kew Hospital opened in 1935 there were proposals of tramway extensions reaching out to East road and Kew Road but this was around the same time diesel buses were on the rise and looking to be the way of the future, so trams were dismissed as a sunset industry and no further expansion happened, rather the trams were removed by 1952 soon to be followed by their infrastructure.
Waikiwi tram on Dee street
Below is footage from 1952 showing Invercargill trams and their tracks being decommissioned.
In 1945 the Invercargill Ratepayers approved the raising of a loan to buy diesel buses and as these came into service, trams were phased out. The last tram ran to North Invercargill on September 10th 1952.
You may be interested
Essential Maintenance Of Golf Courses & Bowls Greens Allowed After EasterNews Desk - Apr 09, 2020
Essential maintenance of golf courses and bowls greens will be able to go ahead after-all. Turf maintenance had not been…
Report On South Otago Train Derailment ReleasedMal - Apr 09, 2020
Exceeding track speed caused a KiwiRail freight train in South Otago to derail, a report has found. The Transport Accident…