Today we have some old images from the 100 Year centennial supplement 1861-1961 of “The Southland Daily News” (not to be confused with The Southland Times)
The News as it was also known was started by George Smallfield on February 16 1861 from a shed in Tay street and later relocating to Dee street next to the then Briscoes building.
Special thanks to Jeff Ross for the newspapers.
In 1924 after a rail strike led The News to form their own passenger bus service to deliver their papers all over Southland, by 1961 they ran buses to Wyndham, Gore,Waitane, Dipton and Tuatapere, these routes were supplemented by other transport operators bringing the buses daily used to 23.
Below the work started to add trams (from 1881 – 1912) they were drawn by horse and in 1912 electric trams were put into service with a tram barn built on Leven street. The then mayor was Mr W.A. Ott When electric trams were first mooted vigorous protests were made by some people. However the protests did not influence the City Council and the electric trams came into being.
It all began in 1881 and 71 years later in 1952 the tram service in Invercargill was finished and the rails were dug up to make way for the city’s world famous centre plotts.
Below we have the Cnr of Dee & Don streets 1911 you can even see the gas lamps being installed.
Cnr of Dee & Don streets 1961
And to finish off we have some old adverts that were the 1961 centennial supplement 1861-1961 some of these companies are still here today including H&J Smith, GWD Russells, W Thompson, Whitcoulls, Hallensteins and some old names now long gone.
You may be interested
Gore High School Student Steps Up To TeenAg Leadership ChallengeNews Desk - Jan 22, 2019
Gore student Leah Murray is preparing to tackle a new challenge in her final year of secondary school. The 17-year-old…
Cattle Section Back With A Twist For 2019 Southland A&P ShowNews Desk - Jan 22, 2019
Southland A&P Show president Paula Bell is delighted the cattle section is back for the 2019 A&P Show with a…