Invercargills time with trams.
Electric trams once operated in eight New Zealand cities including Invercargill. Although Invercargills earlier trams were horse drawn (1881-1912), electric tram lines had arrived by 1912 with 10 trams (manufactured by Boon and Co of Christchurch), this innovation served Waikiwi, North Invercargill, Georgetown and South Invercargill. A tram shed was also established on Leven street and remains standing today.
Another six Trams were purchased from the united states and began operating in 1922.
Around the time Kew Hospital opened in 1935 there were proposals of tramway extensions reaching out to East road and Kew Road but this was around the same time diesel buses were on the rise and looking to be the way of the future, so trams were dismissed as a sunset industry and no further expansion happened, rather the trams were removed by 1952 soon to be followed by their infrastructure.
Waikiwi tram on Dee street
Below is footage from 1952 showing Invercargill trams and their tracks being decommissioned.
In 1945 the Invercargill Ratepayers approved the raising of a loan to buy diesel buses and as these came into service, trams were phased out. The last tram ran to North Invercargill on September 10th 1952.
You may be interested
Tuesday Turn BackOld Invercargill - Nov 19, 2019
This wee collection of old newspaper clippings gives some insight to some major events for Invercargill over the 20th century.…
Murder charge laid in relation to Invercargill deathNews Desk - Nov 19, 2019
A 31-year-old man has been charged with murder in relation to the death of a woman on Sunday 17 November.…
Wanted Man Found in Relation To Death Of Invercargill WomanNews Desk - Nov 19, 2019
The 31-year-old man sought in relation to the death of a woman in Invercargill on Sunday has been located. The…